Heat Pump vs. Furnace



Are you looking to replace your heating system? For starters, you need to have professionals do the job and there is none more suited for the job in Placerville, California than Gilmore Heating Air Plumbing Inc. With a vast experience in both heating pumps and furnaces among others, we guarantee you value for your money. Here is what you need to know about furnaces and heat pumps before you make your final decision.

Heat Production

A heat pump works in the reverse way from an air conditioner. It pumps air from outside to the inside of your home. It can also double as an air conditioner during the hot seasons. Also, heat pumps use refrigerant and electricity and do not need to generate heat from a source of fuel.

A furnace, on the other hand, generates heat by burning natural gas or oil and sends the heat to your home. Some furnaces use electricity to ignite conductive coils which generate heat and transfer it to the ducts in your home.

Efficiency

The new HVAC systems have an efficiency rate of 98% which means that only 2% of fuel is lost in the form of fumes. The remainder (98%) is converted into heat which is transferred through the ducts and into your home.

Heat pumps, on the other hand, are more efficient because they use one unit of electricity to generate 3 units of heat. Hence, heat pumps are 300% efficient. However, when the temperatures outside are cold or freezing, this efficiency is brought to a near halt and require a backup heat source.

Which One Is Best?

Either of the choices can serve you well based on different factors. If you have easy access to natural gas or if you have just had a new AC installed, then a furnace will work well for you. You will not need to add a backup source of heat.

Because heat pumps are very efficient, working with an electric heat pump will save you money compared to when you choose to have an electric furnace. Also, if you want to change your AC, the heat pump will be an excellent cost effective option.

Excellent Heating Replacement Services in Placerville, CA

If you still can’t decide on which of the two to install, feel free to call Gilmore Heating, Air, and Plumbing today. Our sales representatives will make your purchasing decision easy and convenient for you.

How Often Should My Furnace be Replaced?



You want to replace your air filter every three months, or every two if you have pets. You want to get an oil change every so many miles, depending on the make and model of your car. But when it comes to your furnace, there’s really no specific timeline. You can estimate that you’re probably going to get about eighteen to twenty years of use out of a good furnace with regular maintenance, but there are a lot of factors that are going to affect that number. It’s not a set-in-stone rule. Some furnaces will remain energy-efficient for a few years beyond their use-by date, while others may have a shorter lifespan even with regular tuneups.

When Does A Furnace Need Replacing?

A furnace is more like an old car. It’s ultimately going to come down to what it’s costing you to keep it running. With proper upkeep, you might be able to keep your furnace going for decades to come, but at a certain point that’s going to wind up costing you more money than replacing it. The cost of repairs and the simple fact that newer models are made to be more energy efficient means that holding onto the same furnace that was here when you moved in might not be as thrifty a decision as it seems.

What Is Your AFUE?

The easiest way to figure out whether it’s time to retire your furnace is with the AFUE. This is Energy.gov’s method of measuring energy efficiency for gas based furnaces and boilers. Newer units will read the AFUE out to you. If you have an older furnace, you can retrofit it with new parts to make it more efficient and to give you an AFUE reading. Your AFUE is a percentage of how much fuel is being used to heat your home, and how much is being wasted. If you’re at eighty percent, then that’s twenty dollars down the drain for every hundred you spend on heating.

Time For A Checkup?

If you’re not sure, get ahold of some old utility bills and note how much you’ve been spending on heating, then get in touch with the specialists at Gilmore Heating, Air, & Plumbing. Whether your furnace needs to be replaced, or if all you need is a tune-up and maybe some new parts, we’ll be able to advise you on whether or not your trusty old heating system has reached retirement age just yet.